Freitag, 1. Januar 2016

Sicily (first impressions)

Some thoughts about the ferry journey from Livorno to Palermo that may help any followers. I've done a some research regarding the available routes to Sicily, my preferred, due to the frozen weather conditions, was actually Genoa to Palermo but it was more than double the price I've paid from Livorno. Besides that I already knew the port in Genoa and don't really like to travel from there and the arrival in Palermo would be a couple of hours later. 
When you search for ferries on the web you get a lot of pages with offers but you become the cheapest tickets strait from the website of the shipping company you'll be travelling with.
When you book the ticket, they give an option to buy breakfast and other meals straight away with options for standard or business but no description at all about what these options mean in terms of food. I did buy business breakfast and standard lunch but will not do it ever again. The best choice is to take a look at what you get and then decide if you really want eat it and of course if the price is reasonable. I paid for lunch upfront so I had some, if I didn't I wouldn't have bought anything because it didn't look good, the small portion I ate only remained  around 10 minutes inside, if you know what I mean, not going into details here ;-). Just take something with you and save the money and your stomach.

Back on the road I started to ride the island anticlockwise and I must say that it didn't warm me up, it reminded me of Bulgaria, almost all buildings and houses unfinished or falling apart, trash all over, smoke from fire and an unpleasant smell. I drove until I had the chance to get near the seaside.
The weather was good but the views were not quite there yet.
Anyway, the day went on and I needed a place to stay but it looks like 98% of the hotels and guest houses close during winter and the other 2% are either fully booked, don't look good or so expensive that I could not afford it. The day was almost over when I finally found an affordable and nice place to stay near Agrigento.




Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Hinweis: Nur ein Mitglied dieses Blogs kann Kommentare posten.